Re: Oracle & Apache

From: Joe Moore <moorejo_at_it.postoffice.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 16:25:24 +0100

Chris

I have never done it, I am no expert on this area, but I have been reading a book "Working with Oracle Cartridges" Publisher QUE. This covers Oracle Cartridges for Web Application Server (WAS) - vast area.

Oracle Cartridges bridge the gap between web-based solutions and the backend Oracle8 database and client/server.
Oracle Cartridges are plug-in web-enabled software application components - that run on WAS - with pre-built packages and routines that help/allow you to build web-enabled applications for WAS.

There are several cartridges: PL/SQL, Cobol, Java, LiveHTML, Log Server, Perl, ODBC, VRML, WebConnect (IBM legacy stuff) and also the ability to build CUSTOM cartridges with a Cartridge Developers Kit. These cartridges allow you to create html pages that can talk to Oracle for select, update, delete, blah, blah, blah.

These are NOT to be confused with Context Cartridge (which is an application for the back-end Oracle8 DB).

I suppose the next step is to explore WAS and its Cartridges.

HTH Joe