Re: Personal Oracle with windows 98

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 10:25:34 +0200

nmarjovs_at_my-deja.com wrote in message <7v9kto$rkd$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>...

>I want to make something that involves TCP/IP I get the following system
>Error message: "The program has performed an illegal operation and
>it....."
>and the program is unloaded. This happened when I try to test a TCP
>connection using "Oracle Net 8 Easy Config", "Oracle Net 8 assistant"
>or "Oracle 8 Navigator".
>I suppose itīs something with windows 98 because I tried all these
>on a machine using Windows 95 and it works fine.

Hmmm... This is strange as I expected that Win95 software should work without problems on Win98. The Win32 API implementation of Win98 has not changed to any significant extent, and the WinSock API is still the same....

To trouble shoot problems I always try to isolate (or trying to) individual components and testing them. I suggest that you test & check the following: 1 - Network card (or other hardware) conflicts. Run MSINFO32.EXE to check. 2 - Test the IP protocol stack and make sure it's configured correctly (Network applet in Control Panel, and use pings, telnets and ftps to test) 3 - Test Oracle connectivity without TCP/IP, e.g. connect to your local demo/starter database with SQL*Plus using a local (bequeath protocol) connection.
4 - Now test Oracle's TCP/IP adapter using TNSPING80.EXE (first make sure that your TNSNAMES.ORA is correctly configured). If you only can connect to your local database, you will need to start a listener for it first (this will also use the Oracle TCP/IP adapter).

5 - If the Oracle TCP/IP adapter seems to be the problem, de-install it and
re-install it.
6 - Also try other protocols. Oracle supports Pipes and IPX/SPX - configure
Win98 networking for these and try it with Oracle.

regards,
Billy Received on Fri Oct 29 1999 - 03:25:34 CDT