Re: SQL*NET on Oracle 8i server?

From: Van Messner <vmessner_at_netaxis.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 20:59:16 -0400

    If your application is on a separate client, you can install the Oracle 7.3 client software on the client. Then the application will talk to SQL*Net 2.3 and SQL*Net will talk to Net8 on the server.

    If the application is on the server, you may actually have to install the 7.3 client software on the server (in a separate Oracle home with its own tnsnames.ora). Then have the application talk to the SQL*Net 2.3 and SQL*Net talk to Net8. I don't like this solution particularly but I've had to do it on say, stand alone Win98 laptops with older applications, and it works.

Van