Re: Duplicating an instance

From: QuestionExchange <USENET_at_questionexchange.com>
Date: 26 Oct 1999 02:00:35 GMT

Congratulations you've done an admirable job! Only thing is the rename database did not do quite what you thought. You need to create a new control file and SET the database name to test. Then when you startup the database with the new control file you should find all is well. Becca
> Hello,
> I have to duplicate a production instance to have a test
instance.
> I don't want to use import/export features, because it's long
and
> complicate.
> So I do that,
> I duplicate all files, (instance down of course)
> Specify new control file on INITprod.ORA,
> Mount the database,
> Rename all files using copied files.
> Open the database.
> rename database using : ALTER DATABASE RENAME GLOBAL_NAME TO
test
> Close the Database.
> Respecify original control files for INITprod.ORA,
> Create a new init file (say INITtest.ORA) for the new
Database.
> It seems to work, I have after less than 1 hour the two
databases running
> together on the same system.
> But, for the new init.ora (INITtest.ORA), I have to specify
DB_NAME=prod,

--
  This answer is courtesy of QuestionExchange.com   http://www.questionexchange.com/showUsenetGuest.jhtml?ans_id=6335&cus_id=USENET&qtn_id=6327 Received on Mon Oct 25 1999 - 21:00:35 CDT