Duplicating an instance

From: fabriceh <fabriceh_at_netcourrier.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 13:19:05 +0200

Hello,
I have to duplicate a production instance to have a test instance. I don't want to use import/export features, because it's long and complicate.
So I do that,
I duplicate all files, (instance down of course) Specify new control file on INITprod.ORA, Mount the database,
Rename all files using copied files.
Open the database.
rename database using : ALTER DATABASE RENAME GLOBAL_NAME TO test Close the Database.
Respecify original control files for INITprod.ORA, Create a new init file (say INITtest.ORA) for the new Database. It seems to work, I have after less than 1 hour the two databases running together on the same system.
But, for the new init.ora (INITtest.ORA), I have to specify DB_NAME=prod, the same as in INITprod.ORA.
I'm not sure that will not cause any problem. Any help ?
Fabrice HELMBACHER Received on Wed Oct 20 1999 - 06:19:05 CDT