Re: table defragmenting

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 1999 19:11:01 +0800

David F. Newman wrote:

> Hi,
> As near as I can tell, the only way to defragment
> a table is to export with compress extents turned on,
> drop the object or schema, and import back into the database.
> So what do people do with 24x7 databases? The alter
> index rebuild command has come in very useful. I've been
> able to write a script that finds all of my indexes with
> more than 1 extent, calculate a new initial extent + 40%
> and calculate a new next extent 20% of initial. I wish
> dealing with tables was as easy. Anyone have any advice?
>
> --
> David F. Newman
> Oracle DBA
> dnewman_at_ourvillage.com

Check www.orapub.com

You'll find some good whitepapers there on space management...

Anyone that tells you that you need tables in a single extent is just plain wrong.

Just a little effort to size you objects well at creation time (and I'm not talking a single extent here) means you pretty much will never have to reorg...hence the 24x7 just happens all by itself...

HTH
--

Connor McDonald

"Some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue." Received on Fri Oct 08 1999 - 06:11:01 CDT