table defragmenting

From: David F. Newman <buzzwang_at_churchill.ourvillage.com>
Date: 08 Oct 1999 11:57:10 -0400

Hi,

        As near as I can tell, the only way to defragment a table is to export with compress extents turned on, drop the object or schema, and import back into the database. So what do people do with 24x7 databases? The alter index rebuild command has come in very useful. I've been able to write a script that finds all of my indexes with more than 1 extent, calculate a new initial extent + 40% and calculate a new next extent 20% of initial. I wish dealing with tables was as easy. Anyone have any advice?

--
David F. Newman
Oracle DBA