Re: Tablespace sizing???

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 1999 19:13:13 +0800

xo55ox_at_hotmail.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I got a question related to the tablespace sizing. Currently, I have a
> tablespace that is 865M in size. And I am going to have 110,000 records
> added onto a table within this tablespace in two weeks. How can I
> tell/calculate whether I will have enough space for those 110,000
> records given that the tablespace init. extents size is 64K; next
> extents is 128K and the max. extent # is 110?
>
> Additional information: the table is about 1.2M in size, and it is
> already 89% filled. So far, it is still using 1 extent
>
> Any help would be appreciated!
>
> Thank you.
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

You can use avg_row_len, pct_free from user_tables to get a quick approximation of how much space the 110k records will need. Then check dba_free_space to ensure that you have that much space in the tablespace.

You need to ensure that

  1. you have enough free space
  2. you have the free space in sufficiently large chunks to allow for extents to be allocated.

HTH
--

Connor McDonald

"Some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue." Received on Fri Oct 08 1999 - 06:13:13 CDT