Re: Tablespaces

From: <jmvegalerin_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 14:03:22 GMT

In article <7snt1i$alp$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   markp7832_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> In article <7sno59$7di$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> amerar_at_ci.chi.il.us wrote:
> >

> > Hello,
> >
> > Recently I have begun to see this message in our alert log:
> >
> > ORA-1652: unable to extend temp segment by 791 in tablespace TEMP
> >
> > Ok, this must means that the tables are growing and that the
> tablespace
> > is no longer large enough to handle the tables right? Can I, and if
> so
> > how, extend a tablespace? Do I need to take it offline? How can I
> see
> > how large it is currently?
> >
> > Since I've never ran into this before, it is kind of a new situation
> for
> > me. Any help would be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Arthur
> > amerar_at_ci.chi.il.us
> >
> Arthur, the message refers to you temp tablespace so it means you are
> running short of sort (temporary) extents.
>
> You can query sys.dba_data_files for tablespace_name = 'TEMP' to see
> the number and size of files that make up the tablespace. You can
> query sys.dba_tablespaces to see the default storage (allocation)
> parameters for the temp segments. You may have plenty of overall
space
> but just need to change the initial, next, and pctincrease to better
> utilize it.
>
> You can add a file to a tablespace on the fly using the command
> alter tablespace temp
> add datafile '/availdisk/filename' size 1024M;
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> --
> Mark D. Powell -- The only advice that counts is the advice that
> you follow so follow your own advice --
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Hi.

If you have Oracle 7.3 o later you can do:

alter database datafile '<filename>' resize xxx M;

where:

<filename>: is the datafile of the TEMP tablespace xxx: is the new size of datafile.

I hope this helps.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Sep 27 1999 - 09:03:22 CDT