Re: Tablespaces

From: Jeff Hunter <jeffh_at_btitelecom.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 08:56:40 -0400

Sort of yes, and sort of no.

In general, yes. When you get this message in your alert.log file it usually means that you have run out of space in the specified tablespace.

However, this message is pertaining to your TEMP tablespace which shouldn't be holding any objects (tables, indexes, etc.). The temporary tablespace is mainly used for sorting result sets. This error message probably was generated because some user cranked off some large query and had a SORT BY clause in it. If the query is integral to your operation, you may have to add space to the tablespace.

The easiest way to add space to a tablespace is to add a datafile. alter tablespace temp add '/u02/oradata/mysid/temp02.dbf' size 1000M

The tablespace does not have to be offline.

If you want to resize an existing datafile: alter database datafile '/u02/oradata/mysid/temp01.dbf' resize 1000M;