Need tcl script to delete old archive logs

From: Magnus Bergh <magnusb_at_sbbs.se>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 14:10:51 +0200

I am both using Oracle 8 on Nt and Novell. What I need is one method to take care of backup (including deleting old archive logs).

My method is to copy the database to a backup directory and let the backup software backup this directory. Most sites use on tape backup software/hardware to do backups for all servers (fileservers, Oracle etc).

With NT I schedule jobs (combination of scripts and o/s commands scheduled with AT) to copy the data files (either hot or cold backup) to the backup directory and also to delete the old log files. This works fine but the problem is when using Netware where you have to resort to 3rd party NLMs to schedule jobs and other o/s commands like copy/delete. I am very restrictive with loading NLMs in Netware (memory protection in NW is worse than NT). Besides this I want to find a solution that works with any O/S version (Linux or other UNIX is the next step).

What I am thinking of is to use Recovery manager and schedule the backup jobs using the Agent. But there is still one problem left to fix and that is deleting the archive logs. I know that Rman has an option to backup archive log files and delete them after, but I would like to keep for example 3 days of archive logs on disk if something goes wrong with the backup.

One (o/s independant) solution is to use a TCL script to delete the archive logs and schedule the job with the agent. But the problems is that my knowledge of TCl is very limited. Does anyone have a TCL script that does this? I have seen a lot of scripts for doing stuff like this with scripts and o/s commands, but tcl scripts.

Magnus Received on Fri Sep 24 1999 - 07:10:51 CDT