Re: Need to start a program on a server with client application

From: <agaldo_at_bbvnet.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 08:06:04 GMT

Hi David,

I have had this problem before and your alternatives are the only ones. In Oracle 8, you have a better aproach because from PLSQL you can call a dynamic library (.so) which could just do an exec to execute your command.

The way I have solved it is to use a package, this package writes into a pipe or send and alert and there is a daemon (pro*c) which is blocked reading on the pipe. Whenever it receives something it will execute the OS command.

One problem I encountered when using pipes was that the pipe.read operation blocked the Oracle Thread (we were using the Multithreaded server option). Be sure to configure properly your Oracle environment.

Regards

Antonio Galdo

  "David Dieudonné" <dvdieudo_at_club-internet.fr> wrote:
> I have a client/server application, with Forms 4.5 for Windows 95 on
the
> client and Oracle 7.3.2.3 for HP_UX on the server side.
>
> I need to design a mechanism to start a program (writed with Pro*C)
running
> on the server side with the client application.
>
> Are there tools to do it easily ?
>
> Otherwise, the solutions I envisage are :
> - using dbms_pipe (a daemon read messages and start programs).
> - using a database table where daemons read
>
> All ideas are welcomed.
>
> Thanks.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Mon Sep 20 1999 - 03:06:04 CDT