Re: Row Locking on Oracle 8

From: Juan Carlos Alonso Lafuente <jcalonso_at_wke.es>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 10:32:50 +0200

Thank you all for your answers. Thanks also for the code and the V$ row_wait_row. The reason we asked this is because we are developing an application dealing with sgml documents stored into the database. When one person is accessing one document, no other should access it at the same time (until the locking person finishes his/her work.)

To avoid locking, we execute a "SELECT ... FOR UPDATE NOWAIT" on the client (net80 + Microsoft ODBC + Visual C++.) With the code you sent me and your advices, I guess we should try to get some exception code (we already knew that the row was blocked.) But there is still one question to answer: who is locking the row? The problem is that I just can't use the advices Jeremiah sent because we don't leave our client blocked if somebody is already blocking that same row (select for update nowait.)

What we would like to do is to show the user some kind of message window telling the user that such and such person is editing the document (but without blocking him/her.) In this case, we can not use the waiters sql (we have already taken a look of the oracle's scripts :utlockt.sql and catblock.sql)

Thanks again
Carlos. Received on Mon Sep 20 1999 - 03:32:50 CDT