New Oracle Questions

From: David Coburn <dcoburn_at_foxinternet.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 05:34:22 -0700

Hi. We are new to Oracle, coming from an extensive Informix background, and are about to start on our first Oracle install. The platform is an HP 9000 N series, EMC disk array, and HPUX 11.0, with Oracle 8.0.n (I forget). Per the recomendation of a vendor we are going with the Oracle Expert install, wherein they will be dialing in and installing remotely. Apparantly the installation is to tough for mere mortals to accomplish.

A couple of questions keep poping up in my mind. First, is it really worth the 2K for them to install? We thought somebody from Oracle would be coming in, spending the day, and helping us get our feet wet with admin issues. Second, what is the problem with raw partitions? With Informix, it is the recomended way to fly; with Oracle they say it is too hard to adminster, provides minimal speed improvements, and is (in general) to be avoided. They sent a white paper (that seemed rather dated) that went over some configuration things, but it really raised more questions than it answered.

That's it for now. If you could, can you cc my work if you reply? The address is dcoburn_at_worldvision.org.

Thanks!

David Received on Thu Sep 16 1999 - 07:34:22 CDT