Re: New Oracle Questions

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 15:44:54 +0100

>are about to start on our first Oracle install. The platform is an HP 9000
>N series, EMC disk array, and HPUX 11.0, with Oracle 8.0.n (I forget). Per

EMC can be a real pain to configure well - are they going to set that up sensibly at the same time ?

>wherein they will be dialing in and installing remotely. Apparantly the
>installation is to tough for mere mortals to accomplish.

Ah! that must be the new easy installer. (On second thoughts, that must be because the 8.0.5 install on HP is a total crock that needs its MAKE files patched up all over the place (Do a search on Richard Lloyd of Liverpool University for more details).)

>A couple of questions keep poping up in my mind. First, is it really worth
>the 2K for them to install? We thought somebody from Oracle would be
coming

Which currency ? For the right currency I'll be happy to visit and give you what you really want.

>Second, what is the problem with raw partitions? With Informix, it is the
>recomended way to fly; with Oracle they say it is too hard to adminster,

It depends on the tool you use - with SAM on my hp-ux 11 box it seemed rather easy, but with EMC you might want to muck about with striping strategies to spread I/O, and this might make things a bit tedious.

Having said that, there is little in it these days especially if you have the JxFS direct I/O options installed on HP-UX, and follow a couple of tips (see my web-site - Raw vs FS).

--

Jonathan Lewis
Yet another Oracle-related web site: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk