Re: New Oracle Questions

From: Alex Hudghton <alex_at_alenda.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 15:11:12 +0100

Comments inline

Alex

David Coburn <dcoburn_at_foxinternet.net> wrote in message news:37e0e519_at_news2.foxinternet.net...
> Hi. We are new to Oracle, coming from an extensive Informix background,
and
> are about to start on our first Oracle install. The platform is an HP
9000
> N series, EMC disk array, and HPUX 11.0, with Oracle 8.0.n (I forget).
Per
> the recomendation of a vendor we are going with the Oracle Expert install,
> wherein they will be dialing in and installing remotely. Apparantly the
> installation is to tough for mere mortals to accomplish.

Not really - but some configurations can be difficult. I take it this is a development system (initially) so you have room for mistakes - and its well worth it for the experience

> A couple of questions keep poping up in my mind. First, is it really
worth
> the 2K for them to install?

Over a modem ?? (is that $?)

  We thought somebody from Oracle would be coming
> in, spending the day, and helping us get our feet wet with admin issues.
> Second, what is the problem with raw partitions? With Informix, it is the
> recomended way to fly; with Oracle they say it is too hard to adminster,

Depends on how good your UNIX admin / DBAs are Personal preferance seems to be very strong in this area - personally I like to 'see' the files I am dealing with
but OTOH as long as you are careful about maintaining a list of devices in use, then you should have no problems. We use then extensively here and its not too much pain.

> provides minimal speed improvements,

depends on what the application is doing