Re: Cannot log in as SYSDBA or SYSOPER - why?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postmaster_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 20:10:23 +0200

Hi John,
Here's the scenario assuming you are using the passwordfile mechanism. The remote_login_passwordfile init<sid>.ora parameter has three possible values
- none : the default, only internal has SYSDBA and SYSOPER privilege. (It's not a role, it's a privilege!)
- shared: internal and SYS have SYSDBA and SYSOPER   important note: if the password of SYS doesn't equal the internal password, SYS doesn't have privilige
(ran into that many, many times, again today) - exclusive: accounts designated by the user can have SYSDBA and SYSOPER privilege.
What you need evidently is either shared or exclusive. Personally I like to use a distinct account for OEM and SYSDBA purposes other than SYS. It's just too easy to guess. If you take the provisions outlined here and save your init<sid>.ora parameters to the OEM console using Instance Manager, you could bounce an instance 6000 miles away within a few whistles. No need to catch a plane.

Hth,

--
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA