Re: Who's on 7.1.5.2.3 on Alpha OpenVMS 6.2?

From: <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 13:25:48 GMT

In article <37CBAF4B.4E682620_at_post.pl>,   Doktor <doktor_at_post.pl> wrote:
> I used Oracle 7.1.5.2.3 on Alpha OpenVMS 6.2-1H3, but at this time
it's
> not supported (maybe Extended Support only, I don't remember). In my
> opinion, it's a very good idea to upgrade VMS to 7.1-1H2 (or later),
> Oracle Server to 7.3.4 or 8, and Forms to 4.5 or later.
>
> My database before upgrade was not too big, so I made this through
> exp/imp utilities, without any problems.
>
> Regards.
>
> Laith Suheimat wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am trying to get an idea of how many people out there are using
> > Oracle 7.1.5.2.3 on Alpha OpenVMS 6.2.
> >
> > If you are, what are your strategies for upgrade, bearing in mind
that
> > Oracle 7.3 and later is only supported on VMS 7.1 or later, and any
> > Forms 3.0 applications would need to be moved to Forms 4.5 or later
?

> > Are you planning to ditch VMS completey, as its future is looking
> > increasingly shaky ?

We are runing Oracle ver 7.1.5 under OpenVMS 6.2. We recently ported one instance to a new OpenVMS box running ver 7.1.8 and Oracle 7.3.4.3 or whatever the release number was from this July's new Oracle release. We moved the Oracle with exp/imp without problem.

We are currently in the process of trying to upgrade another instance but we are having difficulties getting the OS to install correctly. The install errored off and big chunks of the OS do not work. We have vendor support to help determine what caused the install to fail on the existing cluster.

So the plan is to upgrade to VMS 7.1 or .2 and the current certified release of Oracle which is 7.3.4.3. Version 8 is available, but the documentation and support basically have recommended not going to it. The upgrade path on VMS appears to be 7.3 to 8.1 which is coming soon.

--
Mark D. Powell -- The only advice that counts is the advice that  you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Tue Aug 31 1999 - 08:25:48 CDT