Problems with Production running slower than Development.

From: Bob Fazio <bob_fazio_at_hotmail.com.no.spam>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 03:30:23 GMT

I realize how hard it is to tune without all the information. But if you have any insight it would be appreciated.

I have to instances, dev and production. Dev on a 4500 and Prod on a 6500 (SUN) The 4500 (4 processors and 4GB Ram) 6500 (8 processors and 8GB of RAM)

The obvious problem (which I am resolving) is that I am I/O bound, and I am. I am working on resolving that as I write this. I was hoping some of the other things might be obvious to someone.

shared_pool_size 300M - prod and 60Meg Dev db_block_buffers 3200 - prod and 1000 - Dev log_buffer 163840 prod and 252144 - dev (not running archivelog in either instance)

sort_area_size 6M prod 5M dev
sort_area_retained_size 6M prod 1M dev

The following are set in production , but left to the defaults in dev.

sort_write_buffer_size 2M
optimizer_search_limit 10
bitmap_merge_area_size 2m
hash_multiblock_io_count 64

--
Bob Fazio
rfazio_at_home.com Received on Mon Aug 30 1999 - 22:30:23 CDT