Re: Extremly slow performance with Oracle and Linux

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_hbsrx.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 10:05:39 -0400

Hi Roger,

    If you are running with the default initialization parameters from the init<sid_name>.ora file created at the time you created your database that is a major part of your problem. Oracle's defaults are designed to get you up and running with a minimal configuration.

    If you want decent performance you need to tweak the parameters. You can find the file under $ORACLE_HOME/dbs. Some of the parameters you should modify:

    db_file_multiblock_reads -- set to a multiple of (64KB / block size)

    db_block_buffers -- set to at least double the large value (tweak this guy later if your SGA is under 40% of RAM)

    shared pool size -- use the large value     log_buffer -- use the large value
    sort _area_size -- use 131073

These will be enough to get you started.

regards
Jerry Gitomer

Roger wrote in message
<7qb7p5$aj7$1_at_opal.hamburg.cityline.net>...
>I just installed an Oracle 8.0.5 Server on my Linux Redhat 5.1
computer. It
>works but extremly slow. For example a simple benchmark that
takes
>SQL-Server about 6 seconds takes the Oracle server almost 3
MINUTES to
>finish. Besides that I'm doing some data import right now. The
Oracle server
>is now running for about 15 minutes and hasn't finished yet.
SQL-Server
>needet about 1 minute. What could be the cause of this
performance problem ?

>Regards
> Roger
>

>BTW: The configuration is:
>
>The Linux box is a Compaq Notebook, with 96 MB Ram and a Pentium
233 MHZ
>The SQL-Server runs on a Windows 2000 Beta 3 computer with a
Celeron II 300