Extremly slow performance with Oracle and Linux

From: Roger <NOrgSPAM_at_mcs-hh.de>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 14:10:59 +0200

I just installed an Oracle 8.0.5 Server on my Linux Redhat 5.1 computer. It works but extremly slow. For example a simple benchmark that takes SQL-Server about 6 seconds takes the Oracle server almost 3 MINUTES to finish. Besides that I'm doing some data import right now. The Oracle server is now running for about 15 minutes and hasn't finished yet. SQL-Server needet about 1 minute. What could be the cause of this performance problem ?

Regards

    Roger

BTW: The configuration is:

The Linux box is a Compaq Notebook, with 96 MB Ram and a Pentium 233 MHZ The SQL-Server runs on a Windows 2000 Beta 3 computer with a Celeron II 300 MHZ and 64 MB Ram. Received on Sun Aug 29 1999 - 07:10:59 CDT