Re: Looking for a online backup procedure(pl/sql) on unix

From: Kenneth C Stahl <BluesSax_at_Unforgettable.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 08:37:50 -0400

banicki wrote:

> Are there any online backup procedures written in pl/sql for
> a UNIX platform? I could use a piece of sample code. I
> believe I had a piece code from metalink, that was several
> years old, but I can no longer find it...
>
> Actually would like to make this a scheduled stored
> procedure verses using cron...
>
> Terry Banicki, Illinois Power

What do you mean by an "on-line" backup? Do you really mean to say a "hot backup". Are you talking about backing up only data or do you really mean that you want to backup both the data and structure of a database?

The reason I ask this is that normally backups are performed via the OS. If all you want to do is dump data to files then I suppose that you could do that with pl/sql, but if you want the ability to recover from a catestrophic system failure then what you really want to do is perform a backup of the database itself (control files, data files, archived redo logs, etc). To do this you must perform the backup via the OS. I happen to use UNIX and I have a korn-shell script which I run from the cron on a nightly basis to perform a hot backup. I simply would not trust any procedure which I ran from within an Oracle process to perform an acceptable backup of itself. Received on Thu Aug 26 1999 - 07:37:50 CDT