Re: MS SQL 7.0 HANGS

From: Charlie Barrett <charliebarrett_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 15:24:09 GMT

LOTS of things can hang a SQL Server... I'm not saying it should be that way, but the fact is, it's easy to hang one up.

For example, if I were to put 500,000 record INSERTs in a single transaction and then do a ROLLBACK TRANS, the database will be totally unusable for HOURS, maybe DAYS!!!

I wouldn't hold my breath for Microsoft to make SQL Server TOTALLY multi-tasking and bug free - They're MUCH too busy adding NEW bugs!!!

Like the joke about the guy telling his doctor it only hurts when he laughs, the solution today is "don't do that".

Charlie Barrett

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Help find E.T. with SETI_at_Home!!!

Does your PC get bored while you're away? A CPU is a terrible thing to waste, so take him to http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ and tell him to download SETI_at_Home, the free, totally "Techno-Cool" screen saver.

Instantly, he'll be a PC with a mission, because SETI_at_Home is definitely is NOT another "Flying Toaster" screen saver that rots his CPU. Your PC will be processing Radio Telescope signals from Arecibo, using state-of-the-art DSP algorithms like FFT's and Correlators. Then it uploads the results back to SETI (the Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence)... I told you it was cool!!!

And if your PC makes one of the most important discoveries of all time (a signal from a distant civilization), he will be the envy of the Net, because the SETI team will give him credit in their worldwide press release (oh yeah, you'll get credit, too, so you won't get jealous and make a scene).

Davey Boy <davidpet_at_emirates.net.ae> wrote in message news:7p9t14$5v43_at_news.emirates.net.ae...
> Depends how you define a bug. It may be designed to work that way.
Therefore
> [...]
am
> impressed, no more blisters on my typing fingers, but these areas surely
> need looking at Microsoft.
>

> Max Akbar <Maximum2000_at_msn.com> wrote in message
> > I don't think this is a bug!
> >
> > Common sense tells anyone who is involved in DBA work that if there is
any
> > task that requires time like your task 30 min adequate time should be
> > allocated or the task should be run off hours. If you have to run this
> query
> > then you should think about multi processor server or a hardware that
can
> > handle such a query the fault may not be the software (again common
> sense).
> >
> > It would be nice to see a sample of your extreme query so others could
> help
> > you, or agree with you.
> >
> > <Cha Ching> that was my two cents,
> > -Max
> >

> > An Unhappy Microsoft Customer <unhappy_at_microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Issue--
> > > We are experiencing apparent server hangs. Microsoft has traced
the
> > > problem to a complex query that is being run that uses parallelism and
> the
> > > result set is being processed slowly (one row every 500 ms or so) The
> > total
> > > wall time that the query is open could be in excess of 30 minutes.
> > >
> > > Facts--
> > > MS SQL 7.0 allocates various resources, including memory for
running
> > > queries. This amount of memory is not user configurable and is based
on
> > > total memory in the server.
> > > Complex queries, especially where the query plan indicates
> > parallelism,
> > > can use up a substantial amount of these resources.
> > > If a complex query result is open without leaving sufficient
> resources
> > > for other queries MS SQL 7.0 will not be able to process additional
> > queries.
> > > The server will appear "hung" to users until the complex query result
> set
> > is
> > > processed and closed.
> > > Microsoft does not believe this is a flaw in MS SQL 7.0. We
> strongly
> > > believe this is a serious bug.
> > > These complex queries were not a problem under MS SQL 6.5 because
of
> > > it's simpler query engine
> > > Microsoft claims the problem is "poorly written queries". We
> believe
> > no
> > > user query, no matter how poorly written, should be able to "hang" an
> > > enterprise class database server (if that's what you consider MS SQL
> > > Server). We would expect results like this from MS Access, not from
MS