Re: SQL*Net question

From: Karen Abgarian <karen.abgarian_at_fmr.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 11:29:49 -0400

Hi Tony,

Oracle SQLNet is a set of control utilities and DLLs. Oracle puts it into $ORACLE_HOME/bin during installation. Some files are also placed into WINNT. I suspect those are what Oracle calls "required support files". But I would not care too much about where all these files are: they do not require any attention or administrative efforts.

SQLNet is driven by configuration files in $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin directory. The list of places to connect is described in TNSNAMES.ORA file.
This file is read up when SQLNet client is connecting using a connection string like
"scott/tiger_at_prod.acme.com". The substring after "@" is referred to as "service name"
(there are synonyms). The TNSNAMES.ORA has the definition of service names,
which provide host and port, where the listener is waiting for client's requests.
The Listener is the server side of SQLNet and is driven by LISTENER.ORA file
and controlled by "lsnrctl" utility. Listener finds a server process for the requested
database and connects the client to that process.

To see what version's installed: run orainst/setup. To see what version's running: lsnrctl version.

Rgrds,
Karen Abgarian.