Re: Weird DB recovery.. help needed :)

From: Sybrand Bakker <postmaster_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 22:17:56 +0200

then just restoring the initSID.ora
> file, and everything should be fine. ...
No, regrettably this is NOT true. First of all you would have to edit your initSID.ora to reflect the new control file locations. However, the original file locations are in your control file: the database won't start. If you would have a controlfile backupped to trace then you could take that one, edit it,
issue a startup nomount and run the script from the create controlfile statement. Works like a breeze, 5secs and that's it. That's why you always need to make an alter database backup controlfile to trace after any changes in physical layout. If you don't have a control file backupped, the only thing I can see is performing a tric: alias all the files in the directories they should have been going to, to the locations where they are. Start the database, alter database backup controlfile etc. as above.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA