Tuning in Oracle

From: Sanjeev Jain <sanjeev.jain_at_mail.tju.edu>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 16:33:30 -0400

Hi eveyone,

I was trying to tune some slow running processes. I ran utlbstat and utlestat and am looking at wait stats. I have couple of questions here.

  1. Why is there a big number of "SQL*Net messages from client" even when the process is running on the same server?
  2. If stats look like
Event Name                                    Count            Total
Time Avg Time

SQL*Net message from client 2689 1727815 642.55

SQL*Net message to client            2691
33                    0.01

OR

SQL*Net message from client        288868        423307            1.47
SQL*Net message to client            288868
134                    0

Does it mean in the first case SQL*Net is slow and I need to do something? Is it slow in second case also?

These stats were taken on different servers and for different processes.

Any advice/ explanation is welcome.

Thanks.
Sanjeev