Re: Drop tablespace with nested tables

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 17:09:56 GMT

A copy of this was sent to derickso_at_garden.csc.calpoly.edu (Don Erickson) (if that email address didn't require changing) On 3 Aug 1999 09:17:39 -0700, you wrote:

>I need to drop a tablespace containing nested tables. The command
>"drop tablespace data_st including contents cascade constraints"
>returns the error ORA-22914. A check of the docs says drop of nested
>tables not supported and the parent table must be dropped.
>
>The tablespace was used by a class of database students and at this point
>contains over 300 tables. The structure and the dependancies of the
>tables is unknown as each student developed his own version of what a
>database should look like.
>
>Nothing in the tablespace needs to be saved. It just needs to be
>cleaned up so we're ready for the next class.
>
>This is Oracle 8.0.5 on a Solaris 2.5.1 server.

can you "drop user STUDENT_ACCOUNT cascade;" for each student account? that'll get rid of their objects. That way you won't have to drop the tablespace either -- it'll just be empty then.

>Thanks in advance for any help.
>
>Don Erickson, Lab Manager

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Tue Aug 03 1999 - 12:09:56 CDT