Re: MTS/Oracle8/ODBC

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 23:31:08 +1000

Sorry to reply to another reply, but I lost the original message. Looks like it is NT, by the SQL*Server reference.

One of the common problems in NT is to let the DNS do the TCP/IP name resolution for ORACLE's SQL*Net. Set your host string in the tnsnames.ora file to the IP number for the server. Do this both in the server and the client. AUTOMATIC_IPC doesn't really help,so use the IP number.

Also make sure you create a pool of SQL*Net connections. There is a parameter for listener.ora that does this, but I can't remember which one it is. Look it up in the man pages.

You need this SQL*Net trick on both standard SQL*Net connections and ODBC connections, with the added problem that ODBC will also slow you down further...

MTS won't help as in NT it is not needed.

HTH
--
Cheers
Nuno Souto