Re: Turning ARCHIVELOGMODE off and on

From: Leonard F. Clark <leonard_at_lf-clark.prestel.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 12:14:22 GMT

Alton,

You can do this. However, if you are using SQL*Loader a somewhat easier path is available. You can use the UNRECOVERABLE option in DIRECT mode to avoid both Indexes and Redo Logs (hence Archiving). Since you are migrating from Paradox, I would guess (and hope) you are dumping from Paradox in SQL*Load-able format.

You will still need to backup the database after a load because the database is essentially unrecoverable. There are also some constraints on concurrent users - but I would hope a big load is done without other on the database anyway, if possible.

This would basically avoid having to faff around with the archivelog mode.

BTW, in your method you should perform the las backup _after_ you have re-enabled archivelogmode so that any recovery to post-load has logs archived.