Re: striping , raid 5 and oracle tablespaces.

From: Jonathan Gennick <jonathan_at_gennick.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 20:48:50 GMT

On Wed, 21 Jul 1999 10:51:16 +0200, "Jean-Marc Pouchoulon" <jean-marc.pouchoulon_at_crit.univ-montp2.fr> wrote:

>I try to improve perf for oracle on an AIX 421 system, oracle 734
>I saw in the archives that raid 5 is adapted for oracle only for 10-20 users
>and for tablespaces that read access is considerable.

We use RAID 1+0 instead of RAID 5 because we don't want the overhead of maintaining the parity. We are blessed with many, many, many disks, so we can afford to do this.

>On the other hand, people recommand me to put tablespaces on separate disks
>( one for index, the other for data ...) rather then striped the tablespaces
>on x disks. Any comment ?

You can do both. I have one database where I have a 16gig RAID 1+0 set for tables and another of the same size for indexes.

If you're going to change things around, try and identify some things you can use as metrics first. If you have some long-running batch jobs, time them before and after to verify that you have made a difference. You really need something to measure. I tend to focus on job run times and other things that are noticible to the users.

Jonathan

jonathan_at_gennick.com
http://gennick.com
Brighten the Corner Where You Are Received on Thu Jul 22 1999 - 15:48:50 CDT