US7ASCII to WE8ISO8859P1

From: Scott Hopkins <scotthopkins_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 01:41:55 GMT

I have a table on my development database box that contains some special characters like cross of lorraines. I need to move the data from that table to my production box. Unfortunately, the 2 databases use 2 different character sets. The development box, US7ASCII, the production WE8ISO8859P1 (for more details see below). Transferring the data through the export/import utilites didn't seem to work (ie, I lost the special characters). Is there a way to do this?

Also, I want to change my development database box to use the same character set as the production one, so I don't run into this problem in the future. I've heard that this is a rather painful process (as I obviously still want to keep the data that's in my development box). What's the best approach to this problem?

My development box looks like:

NLS_LANGUAGE                   AMERICAN
NLS_TERRITORY                  AMERICA
NLS_CURRENCY                   $
NLS_ISO_CURRENCY               AMERICA
NLS_NUMERIC_CHARACTERS         .,
NLS_DATE_FORMAT                DD-MON-YY
NLS_DATE_LANGUAGE              AMERICAN
NLS_CHARACTERSET               US7ASCII
NLS_SORT                       BINARY
NLS_CALENDAR                   GREGORIAN
NLS_RDBMS_VERSION              7.3.2.2.0

My production box looks like:
NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET         WE8ISO8859P1
NLS_LANGUAGE                   AMERICAN
NLS_TERRITORY                  AMERICA
NLS_CURRENCY                   $
NLS_ISO_CURRENCY               AMERICA
NLS_NUMERIC_CHARACTERS         .,
NLS_DATE_FORMAT                DD-MON-YY
NLS_DATE_LANGUAGE              AMERICAN
NLS_CHARACTERSET               WE8ISO8859P1
NLS_SORT                       BINARY
NLS_CALENDAR                   GREGORIAN
NLS_RDBMS_VERSION              7.3.3.0.0

By the way, why does the NLS_RDBMS_VERSION parameter show up as 7.3.3.0.0 when its an Oracle 8 database? The folks that manage that database recently upgraded to Oracle 8. Should this number have changed?

Thanks for any help....

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Tue Jul 20 1999 - 20:41:55 CDT