Re: Synchronous Replication as backup site...

From: Yosi Greenfield <yosi_at_newsalert.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 10:18:40 -0400

Pete,

Thanks for replying. (I left Oracle Corp about a month ago, and I miss the email lists desperately!) Their servers would be on a pretty solid LAN, so synch in and of itself should work. I've never actually seen anyone use synch rep though because we (Oracle) usually recommend asynch.

Add to that, the goal is to backend a website with these dbs. Synch is desired so that two successive hits to the website will see the correct, up-to-date modifications made by the user, even if the hit was sent to the second server.

Do you have, or could you find, scripts that automate the response to a failure of a node in a synchrep scenario? And are there any special gotchas for synch rep being the backup scheme? Any other ideas? (Did I mention I miss the email lists?!!)

Thanks again,

Yosi