Re: RECOVER DATABASE question again.

From: Denny Koovakattu <denny_vk_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 18:44:17 GMT

Hi,

  1. Do not backup your online redo log files. Even if you do back them up, do not restore them.
  2. If your database is running in archive log mode, then you can take either offline/cold or online/hot backups. Else you can only take offline/cold backups.
  3. While taking offline backups, do a shutdown normal. Do not backup the files after doing a shutdown abort.
  4. If you are taking online backups, put each tablespace into backup mode, copy the datafiles to the backup location and then take the tablespace out of backup mode. If your database crashes during online backup, for versions prior to 7.3 ( I did not check with 7.2 ), you may have to do crash recovery. For versions 7.3+, you can use the 'alter database datafile <name> end backup' for all the datafiles for the tablespace in backup mode to take the tablespace out of backup mode. Another point to consider is the increased redo generation during online backups. For a tablespace in backup mode, the first time a block is modified, the entire block is written to the redo log. All later changes till the block is flushed to disk generate only normal redo. The next change after the block is flushed to disk also writes the entire block to the redo log.

  Taking backups is quite straight forward and easy. In your test case I don't believe you put the tablespace in backup mode. If you want to avoid this then shutdown the database before taking the backup. Also you restored the online redo log files. Don't do that. Always use the current redo log files.

Regards,
Denny

--
Denny Koovakattu
denny_at_vitalsol.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Tue Jul 13 1999 - 13:44:17 CDT