Oracle 8i, Intermedia and INSO filter

From: Vaggelis Zorbas <vzorbas_at_dbnet.ece.ntua.gr>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 18:03:54 +0300

I have downloaded oracle EE 8i and been trying to get Intermedia to work. It seems that everything is working fine: I can load text into a database column, index it and perform queries on it.

The only thing that doesn't work is the INSO filter, the magic filter that can be used during indexing ('filter CTXSYS.INSO_FILTER'), and that supports indexing of almost all types of documents (doc, pdf, ...).

In particular, the situation is the following:
- I load various formatted text files (pdf, doc...) in a BLOB column of a
table. This works.
- I create the index with the command:

  CREATE INDEX indexname ON TABLENAME(columnname) INDEXTYPE IS ctxsys.context PARAMETERS('filter
  CTXSYS.INSO_FILTER').
  The answer I get is "statement processed"
- When I perform a search on the column for a key
  (e.g. SELECT SCORE(1), acolumnname from TABLENAME WHERE contains(columnname, 'Keyword', 1)>0;)
  I never get any result.

If instead of INSO_FILTER I use the NULL_FILTER everything works fine.

So my problem is getting the INSO_FILTER to work. The Intermedia Text documentation has some advices in the manual about this but I cannot make any point out of it. My OS is NT 4 and the advices are the following: "
All environment variables related to Inso filtering must made visible to interMedia Text. Set these variables in the following locations:
- listener.ora file. This makes the environment variables visible to the
extproc PL/SQL process. (???????)
- The operating system shell from where ctxsrv server is started. This makes
the environment variables visible to the ctxsrv process, which does background DML. (???????)
"
(The questionmarks are mine)

Any help would be greately appreciated.

Thanks

Vaggelis Zorbas Received on Mon Jul 12 1999 - 10:03:54 CDT