Re: Oracle 8i, Intermedia and INSO filter

From: Joel R. Kallman <jkallman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 02:52:47 GMT

Vaggelis,

Although this isn't conspicuously documented, try setting the ORACLE_HOME System Environment variable to your Oracle8i home. Note that I'm referring to your Windows NT System environment variable, and ORACLE_HOME must be in all upper case.

Reboot, drop your interMedia Text index, and recreate it. After you have created the index, issue:

        SELECT * FROM CTX_USER_INDEX_ERRORS; to see if any errors occurred during indexing of your documents.

Hope this helps.

On Mon, 12 Jul 1999 18:03:54 +0300, "Vaggelis Zorbas" <vzorbas_at_dbnet.ece.ntua.gr> wrote:

>I have downloaded oracle EE 8i and been trying to get Intermedia to work.
>It seems that everything is working fine:
>I can load text into a database column, index it and perform queries on it.
>
>The only thing that doesn't work is the INSO filter, the magic filter that
>can be used during indexing ('filter CTXSYS.INSO_FILTER'), and that supports
>indexing of almost all types of documents (doc, pdf, ...).
>
>In particular, the situation is the following:
>- I load various formatted text files (pdf, doc...) in a BLOB column of a
>table. This works.
>- I create the index with the command:
> CREATE INDEX indexname ON TABLENAME(columnname) INDEXTYPE IS
>ctxsys.context PARAMETERS('filter
> CTXSYS.INSO_FILTER').
> The answer I get is "statement processed"
>- When I perform a search on the column for a key
> (e.g. SELECT SCORE(1), acolumnname from TABLENAME WHERE
>contains(columnname, 'Keyword', 1)>0;)
> I never get any result.
>
>If instead of INSO_FILTER I use the NULL_FILTER everything works fine.
>
>So my problem is getting the INSO_FILTER to work. The Intermedia Text
>documentation has some advices in the manual about this but I cannot make
>any point out of it. My OS is NT 4 and the advices are the following:
>"
>All environment variables related to Inso filtering must made visible to
>interMedia Text. Set these variables in the following locations:
>- listener.ora file. This makes the environment variables visible to the
>extproc PL/SQL process. (???????)
>- The operating system shell from where ctxsrv server is started. This makes
>the environment variables visible to the ctxsrv process, which does
>background DML. (???????)
>"
>(The questionmarks are mine)
>
>Any help would be greately appreciated.
>
>Thanks
>
>Vaggelis Zorbas

Thanks!

Joel

Joel R. Kallman Oracle Service Industries

Columbus, OH                             http://govt.us.oracle.com

jkallman@us.oracle.com                   http://www.oracle.com

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Mon Jul 12 1999 - 21:52:47 CDT