Re: Oracle 8i for unix mount points

From: <rcordingley_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 20:45:46 GMT

If you want to get good performance, you WON'T use RAID5 with Oracle. Oracle tends to write in small chunks, and on RAID5, the full "stripe" must be read, updated, re-CRCd, and rewritten. This slows things down significantly. Disk is cheap, so stripe and mirror (RAID 0+1). That was you'll have full redundancy, only take a small performance hit on writes, and probably gain a significant amount of perfomance on reads.

If you don't care about that, then don't worry about mount points at all, really. Put everything in one big yucky directory. The only reasons for multiple mount points are summarized by another respondant.

In answer to your *actual* question: symlinks work just fine for oracle.

Robert

In article <x5u2rfaswj.fsf_at_aeria.phil.uni-erlangen.de>,   Mac Schwarz <mac_at_phil.uni-erlangen.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm going to install Oracle 8i on SUN Sparc Solaris 7 in a few
> days. The SUN is used for other purposes already and it would be
> difficult to change the configuration to match the requirements of
> Oracle now. Normally I would install the db software in /opt/oracle
> and the databases in a subdirectory of our RAID5.
>
> However in the installation manual and the appendix of the
> administrator's reference another layout is recommended. There should
> be at least two mount points for the db software and the
> databases. For the OFA four mount points would be better. These mount
> points should be named with a char and a fixed-length key (e.g. /u01,
> /u02, /u03 and /u04).
>
> As I wrote above this would require a lot of changes on the existing
> system. The RAID partition is already mounted under another
> name. Would a symbolic link to a subdirectory of the RAID (e.g. /u02
> -> /raid/u02) suffice?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Thu Jul 08 1999 - 15:45:46 CDT