Oracle 8i for unix mount points

From: Mac Schwarz <mac_at_phil.uni-erlangen.de>
Date: 08 Jul 1999 20:38:36 +0200

Hi,

I'm going to install Oracle 8i on SUN Sparc Solaris 7 in a few days. The SUN is used for other purposes already and it would be difficult to change the configuration to match the requirements of Oracle now. Normally I would install the db software in /opt/oracle and the databases in a subdirectory of our RAID5.

However in the installation manual and the appendix of the administrator's reference another layout is recommended. There should be at least two mount points for the db software and the databases. For the OFA four mount points would be better. These mount points should be named with a char and a fixed-length key (e.g. /u01, /u02, /u03 and /u04).

As I wrote above this would require a lot of changes on the existing system. The RAID partition is already mounted under another name. Would a symbolic link to a subdirectory of the RAID (e.g. /u02
-> /raid/u02) suffice?

Regards,

        Mac

--
Mac Schwarz / AERIA Projekt / Inst. f. Klassische Archaeologie e-mail: mac_at_aeria.phil.uni-erlangen.de / Tel.: 09131-85-24791  FAU Erlangen-Nuernberg / Kochstr.4 / 91054 Erlangen   <http://www.phil.uni-erlangen.de/~p1altar/aeriahome.html> Received on Thu Jul 08 1999 - 13:38:36 CDT