Re: Linux -v- NT for 8.0.5 + OAS 4.0.7 + Apache/IIS ??

From: <kwiateks_at_juno.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 02:08:44 GMT

Hi,

You really don't say much about expected load or what type of applications you will be running on your system....

BUT from my experience, apache with mod-perl (and/or jserv) and mod-ssl are an awesome combination and FREE. Mod-perl gives you outstanding speed due to "java servlet" type functionality (perl modules are complied once, and held in memory, eliminates IO and constant db re-connectons ). You just need to be GNU savy and know a little bit about "make" files to get all the apache modules installed and configured correctly...

You're right, PL/SQL is some yucky stuff, BUT the OAS4.x version is, I think, moving in the java/corba/EJB direction very quickly, and would not be a bad direction to move in also.... it is the future,--and oracle will hold your hand all the way to the bank.

If you are fairly perl/apache savy and don't have a super mission critical/intensive application, you may want to stand up apache with mod-perl + jserv + DBI + mod-ssl for the short/medium term. But keep an eye on Oracle corba (OAS), ultimately I think it holds the key to performance/functionality... right now, I think it would just eat up your resources without a true need...

Keith

In article <377be50c.4097832_at_news.alt.net>,   jenni_at_nowhere.net (Jenni G) wrote:
> I about to set up a webserver w/enough server-side to warrant Apache
> modules and/or OAS cartridges. My budget at this point only allows a
> 400MHz K6/3, 256MB, and SCSI U2W drives. I can't seem to find enough
> info to make a clear decision on the following:
>
> Linux or NT
> OAS or CGI + Apache modules
> IIS or Apache (if on NT)
> OAS 3 or 4
> Java, C, Perl, or PL/SQL for cartridges.
>
> Could some of you share your 2 cents?
>
> Also, seems like such a pain to debug PL/SQL in general, it'd be nice
> to hear if this one could be scratched as a cartridge choice.
>
> Many, many thanks for any follow-ups.
> JG

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Mon Jul 05 1999 - 21:08:44 CDT