Re: Linux -v- NT for 8.0.5 + OAS 4.0.7 + Apache/IIS ??

From: Tony Smolar <asmolar_at_mallard.ultranet.com>
Date: 2 Jul 1999 13:17:51 GMT

On Thu, 01 Jul 1999 03:57:58 GMT, Jenni G wrote:
>I about to set up a webserver w/enough server-side to warrant Apache
>modules and/or OAS cartridges. My budget at this point only allows a
>400MHz K6/3, 256MB, and SCSI U2W drives. I can't seem to find enough
>info to make a clear decision on the following:
>
>Linux or NT
>OAS or CGI + Apache modules
>IIS or Apache (if on NT)
>OAS 3 or 4
>Java, C, Perl, or PL/SQL for cartridges.

You don't give much information about what your App will be, but my experience is that Oracle runs well on Linux, much better than on an equivalent NT system.

It seems to me that the choice between OAS and CGI + modules is a choice between proprietary and open. If you hate being locked in to and relying on a single
vendor, go with the CGI + Apache modules, if you prefer to use a technology that is backed by a major vendor, go with OAS.

--

Tony Smolar

asmolar_at_ma.ultranet.com                    home email
http://www.ultranet.com/~asmolar           homepage