Re: Linux -v- NT for 8.0.5 + OAS 4.0.7 + Apache/IIS ??

From: Tony Smolar <asmolar_at_mallard.ultranet.com>
Date: 2 Jul 1999 13:10:26 GMT

On Thu, 01 Jul 1999 06:26:33 GMT, bonanos_at_yahoo.com wrote:

>> I about to set up a webserver w/enough server-side to warrant Apache
>> modules and/or OAS cartridges. My budget at this point only allows a
>> 400MHz K6/3, 256MB, and SCSI U2W drives. I can't seem to find enough
>> info to make a clear decision on the following:
>
>> Linux or NT
>
>Definetely go for NT.
>
>> OAS or CGI + Apache modules
>
>Recent Benchmarks(last week) show IIS on NT to be 200-400% faster and
>able to pump more pages than Apache on linux (these are linux problems)
>
>> IIS or Apache (if on NT)
>> OAS 3 or 4

Recent benchmarks (last month or so) show that Oracle on Linux is many times faster than Oracle on NT. This has been my real world experience as well. (I manage two NT Oracle Servers, One Linux and One Solaris)

In general, be wary of benchmarks, especially those which are paid for by a vendor of what is being benchmarked. Received on Fri Jul 02 1999 - 08:10:26 CDT