Re: Persistent Connection

From: Chris Weiss <weisschr_at_pilot.msu.edu>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 12:11:03 -0400

Try writing a host based application that maintains a pool of connections that can be used for the ActiveX component that calls to the database. You can write a simple sockets server that uses OCI to maintain connections. You can also try using caching on the host to reduce the number of queries on the server. If you write this app for NT, be sure to write it as a service. UNIX style daemons under NT that do not run as services are more difficult to keep stable. You can write a pretty small application to act as a pass through to your ActiveX component.

Several web development tools provide pooled persistent connections, such as Sapphire Web from Bluestone, Web Dynamics, etc. You can configure these tools to provide a minimum and maximum number of connections to keep response time high without reaching saturation. In general these tools are less platform dependent than MTS or ADO. I have used Sapphire Web, and moving a project from NT to Solaris was pretty simple.

Christopher Weiss
Professional Services Division
Compuware Corporation

chensm <chensm_at_sesrcs1.src.se.bp.com> wrote in message news:7lc1me$ce13_at_eugwy1.bp.com...
> There are several ways to this problem.
> If you have a MTS in your server, you can use MTS to maintain a connection
> pool for you.
> If you do not have, I think you can use ADO to create a connection for all
> instance and use this connection to open different database. For exmple:
In