Re: update 7.3.2 to 8.x on NT

From: Xuening Sun <ba503_at_torfree.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 13:36:44 GMT

Hi, Vick,

 We have Oralce 7.3.2 and Oracle8i, running on NT servers. We don't have Oracle 8.0.5. But the method should be the same. We exported everything from Oracle 7.3.2 to a DMP file, then imported from this DMP file into Oracle8i. It works fine. I perfer testing the migation process on a smaller database first, testing your applications against this DB, then migrating your producton DB. The way you changed the block_size from 2K to 8K should be fine.

Xuening Sun
--
Vick (vramming_at_my-deja.com) wrote:
: Hello...
: I have an Oracle 7.3.2 database that I need to migrate to version 8. I
: know that there is a migration option that I can choose when installing
: 8, but so far when I do that, the database pukes. I've been doing all
: this in a test situation with a tiny DB only about 1.5 GB. My
: production database is 42GB, I'm a little concerned!

: I have schema owner/user exports with all the grants, inserts and
: triggers etc, maybe I can export from 7.3.2 and then import into 8.0.5
: and not lose data? (some tablespace fragmentation that this should
: fix?)

: Can I change the DB Block size in the new DB and still import the old
: data? (from 2048 to 8192, to help with performance issues)

: Has anyone had good fortune with the migration tool?

: Suggestions? Maybe even a good resource book for questions like this?
: Thanks
: Vickie

: Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
: Share what you know. Learn what you don't.