Re: Client Server-How is work shared?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 18:52:33 +0200

Hi,
The rule is quite simple:
as soon as you use in your Access query a function which is not supported by Oracle, the query will run on the client. So all vb specific functions will cause a performance hog.
This isn't the end of the story: the ODBC is usually very bad at mapping vb and Oracle functions. If it's not a function with the same name, the same parameters and the same syntax: forget it. You can check by enabling trace in the ODBC applet in Control panel. Here you will see which statement is send to the server. We ended up with transforming many of our queries in passthrough queries. And yes, this is server only.
One of my favorite expressions at that time was 'ODBC, weg ermee / throw it away'
If you have the option, you should consider using Oracle Objects for OLE with VB or Vc++, or RDO in VB
All are native drivers, and also bypass the JET-ISAM engine, which ODBC in Access doesn't
I didn't try, BTW, intentionally try to insult Ms-Access users. IMO MS-Access is stil unsuited for mission-critical purposes. I know any end-user will like it. As long as it's standalone on a system not connected to any network, I love it.

Hth,
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA