EMC and Tuning Oracle: Manuals are wrong?

From: <benryan_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 23:41:34 GMT

The Oracle Tuning Manuals (7 and 8) make some fairly clear statements about how Oracle files should be separated across disks.

Example

Oracle8 Server Tuning - 15-22 Section on
"Separating Datafiles and Redo Log Files" says
"Dedicating separate disks and mirroring redo log
files are important safety precautions."

EMC Technical Staff claim this does not apply to their systems.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated?

Ben Ryan - Oracle DBA

P.S. We are running a "high-profile" production OLTP DB with currently over 100 users increasing to 400+ is the next few months. Database files are spread across four disk "sections" each of 4Gb. Each physical disk is 8Gb, meaning the database (and operating system) only has half of each physical disk. Other half used by some other server, which I have no control over. My request for control over spindles to management has been rejected on the basis that there is no need for that level of control in an EMC environment. EMC Technical staff backed-up management's view.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Thu Jun 17 1999 - 18:41:34 CDT