Re: EMC and Tuning Oracle: Manuals are wrong?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 08:41:41 +0100

You are right, EMC and your management
are wrong.

The manual is a little too black-and-white: with modern technology, properly applied, the need to worry about extreme separation has eroded somewhat - nevertheless the
redo logs, and archived redo logs on extremely hard-working systems still tend to suffer a different I/O pattern from the rest of the database.

The idea of letting 50% of each disc be used for something totally outside your control is very bad news - EMC seems to be good at pumping large chunks of data from place to place and very poor at small random I/Os, so the other activity could (transparently to you) guarantee that your application dies the death when 400 user are on.

BTW
> Database files
>are spread across four disk "sections" each of
>4Gb

Is this spreading done through striping at a fairly small stripe size - 4 chunks, one per disc would be bad news. Even so, with 400 concurrent users any large table spread over only 4 spindles is likely to be a performance I/O threat under any circumstances.

--

Jonathan Lewis