Re: Limiting access with Access

From: <lmlaster_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 18:08:24 GMT

In article <19990608003235.24057.00001559_at_ng-fq1.aol.com>,   bpowell601_at_aol.com (BPowell601) wrote:
> We have a database that requires some tables to be modifiable by
public. this
> is so a piece of software can make required modifications. We lock
the users
> out by inserting rows in product_profile. This works well for
SQL*Plus.

> We recently hired a group that accesses the DB using Access. they
have
> unlimited modification ablitiy to these tables. Is there anyway to
block
> this??

I don't know anything about sql*Plus, but if its anything like sql server, maybe it supports VIEWS . Views are predefined queries or select statements. SQL Server allows you to administer select, update, insert, and delete security on these objects. You would let these users link to the views (with limited security). You would give limited security (select only) to the actual sql TABLES.

Hope this helps. Feel free to email.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Tue Jun 08 1999 - 13:08:24 CDT