Re: how to access oracle database

From: Sash. <sasha.soskic_at_postoffice.co.uk>
Date: 26 May 1999 11:12:50 GMT

geoklian <geoklian_at_pacific.net.sg> wrote in article
> For example...If I'm using oracle database, which language would be more
> appropriate to use in order to access the database? Will I be able to
> use PL/SQL and jdbc ? which one is better....

SQL, SQL Plus and PL/SQL are supplied with Oracle database (you don't need to purchase them separately). ODBC and JDBC drivers are used to access Oracle database from applications (e.g. Java applications). So, there is no "better" solution, they are used for different purpose. SQL is the "natural" database language that you'll probably use 90% of time, SQL Plus contains some Oracle add-ons, while PL/SQL is used to write procedures. Received on Wed May 26 1999 - 06:12:50 CDT