Re: SQL server Vs Oracle - Technical/prices issues please

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_hbsrx.com>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 09:52:27 -0400

Hi Jason,

    Like all other Oracle users I too wish their prices were lower. Based on their success in selling Oracle on NT Vs. Microsoft's lack of success in selling SQL Server on NT most of the people who are buying RDBMS for NT believe that Oracle, although more expensive, is a better value than SQL Server.

    According to Dataquest Oracle's share of the RDBMS market on NT grew 55% last year Vs 12% for Microsoft. Oracle now commands 46.1% of the NT RDBMS market and Microsoft only has 29.7%. Lets see, 46.1 / 29.7 -- oh, Oracle market share is over 1.5 times that of Microsoft.

    Market share should be a consideration in selecting a software product. Especially, when the product with the market share is more expensive. RDBMS buyers are making hard nosed decisions and last year selected Oracle 4.5 times as often as SQL Server in spite of its greater cost. As those of us who are smaller Oracle customers know it sure in hell isn't due to the effectiveness of Oracle's sales people so it must be due to product superiority in areas that are more significant than initial purchase price.

regards

Jerry Gitomer