Re: SQL server Vs Oracle - Technical/prices issues please

From: Jason Filby <jasonf_at_global.co.za>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 17:14:25 +0200

Hi Jerry,

>Based on their success in selling Oracle on NT Vs. Microsoft's lack of
success in
>selling SQL Server on NT most of the people who are buying RDBMS for NT
>believe that Oracle, although more expensive, is a better value than SQL
Server.

Yes -- that is the case now. But for how long? Microsoft simply don't back down -- they win no matter what. I don't doubt that they'd give SQL Server away for a short period of time -- just to win. That's just the price issue. Technically, they are always improving -- I was reading how they hired some really smart people to work on SQL Server 7. I don't know much about it but apparently the differences between 7 and the last version are quite something -- what will version 8 bring?

Now don't get me wrong -- I'm not saying that MS will beat Oracle, or that Oracle should be dead scared. What I am saying is that they shouldn't underestimate MS.

Fortunately, there is some light at the end of the tunnel -- Open Source. By running Linux you don't have to buy an expensive OS and you get great stability and performance. Myself, I'm considering making my web development API Open Source.