Re: backup question

From: Joost Mulders <mail_at_j-mulders.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 01:20:57 +0200

I am doing this on a HP 10.20 K series machine. Oh...Yes, and I lied a bit. cpio is nout wining, but cpio's manpage is. It says that cpio will not create archives greater than 2G. cpio IS wining when I create an archive on DISK which would become greater than 2G. I haven't tried writing to tape but the manpage does not give much hope.

The question really is: should I do the hassle with cpio | tar | dd? How do you -oracle guys- backup databases with a size of 6 - 8 GB? using standard unix tools or a dedicated program.

TIA Joost Mulders Received on Mon May 24 1999 - 18:20:57 CDT